05 May, 2018

REVIEW: JOYLAND by Stephen King

Title: Joyland
Author: Stephen King
Series: -
Genres: Mystery, Horror
Publisher: Hard Case Crime
Release: June 4th, 2013
Source: Paperback
Pages: 283

// Goodreads // BookDepository // Amazon //

BLURB:
Set in a small-town North Carolina amusement park in 1973, Joyland tells the story of the summer in which college student Devin Jones comes to work as a carny and confronts the legacy of a vicious murder, the fate of a dying child, and the ways both will change his life forever.

Joyland is a brand-new novel and has never previously been published.

 

EXPECTATIONS: I went into this book without any expectation, just wanted a light summer horror read. This actually more of a crime book I would say. Honestly, there isn't much to tell about it. It wasn't my personal favorite of Kings' I think he can do so much better, but I do see the appeal of this book.

THE WORLD: The book is set in 1973 I think, in North Caroline amusement park. It's pretty cool, to read about life in 1973, seeing how everyone dressed, talked, what strange drink or foods they ate and how they called them. To me especially, being a Lithuanian and long from born in 1973, it's always nice to see what was popular or 'hip' in other countries.

CHARACTERS: Our main character is called Devin. He's a student who comes to work in this amusement park for the summer. He has his own personal set of issues and demons, but we get to see him working through them in the book. In the park he meets this fortune teller and she tells him that he will meet two children that summer that will change his life. He does indeed bu there kids change his life in very different ways. I liked Devin honestly, he was this very logical character. He was nice, and kind, and did what was the right thing to do.

We also have a lot of side characters who fill this book in. They were all good characters fitted to their part. I can maybe exclude Annie and Lane, which whom Devin has more personal relationships. And Mike, a little boy.

ROMANCE: We have this romance vibes going on, but I would say they only are secondary themes, more of a summer romance vibes than actual plots for the book.

GOOD: This book had some very cute moments, I also liked the horror/crime part of it.

BAD: Could have been more of the horror/crime element in my opinion.

OVERALL: I enjoyed it true, I think it fits for this easy read on a summer holiday or a road trip, so don't go from it, pick it up and see if you'll like it.

What do you think about JOYLAND

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment