09 April, 2018

MONDAY TRAVELS: WHAT LIPS MY LIPS HAVE KISSED, AND WHERE, AND WHY by Edna St. Vincent Millay



Happy Monday friends! Welcome to another edition of Monday Travels

So today we are in UNITED STATES OF AMERICA and we will explore:


WHAT LIPS MY LIPS HAVE KISSED, AND WHERE, AND WHY

Let's meet Edna St. Vincent Millay:
Edna St. Vincent Millay (February 22, 1892 – October 19, 1950) was an American poet and playwright. She received the Pulitzer Prize for Poetry in 1923, the third woman to win the award for poetry,[ and was also known for her feminist activism. She used the pseudonym Nancy Boyd for her prose work. Her 1920 collection A Few Figs From Thistles drew controversy for its exploration of female sexuality and feminism. In 1919 she wrote the anti-war play Aria da Capo which starred her sister Norma Millay at the Province town Playhouse in New York City.
Millay won the Pulitzer Prize for Poetry in 1923 for The Ballad of the Harp-Weaver. She was the third woman to win the poetry prize.



Poem:

What lips my lips have kissed, and where, and why,
I have forgotten, and what arms have lain
Under my head till morning; but the rain
Is full of ghosts tonight, that tap and sigh
Upon the glass and listen for reply,
And in my heart there stirs a quiet pain
For unremembered lads that not again
Will turn to me at midnight with a cry.

Thus in the winter stands the lonely tree,
Nor knows what birds have vanished one by one,
Yet knows its boughs more silent than before:
I cannot say what loves have come and gone,
I only know that summer sang in me
A little while, that in me sings no more. 
Thoughts:

Truly beautiful. Heartwarming and heartbeaking.

Oh how many times, we were in such position, where you had such strong feeling but then you lie to yourself to forget, because the pain is just too much...

Let me know, what this poem brought you!


See you Next Monday!

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment