16 April, 2018

MONDAY TRAVELS: BECAUSE I COULD NOT STOP FOR DEATH by Emily Dickinson



Happy Monday friends! Welcome to another edition of Monday Travels

So today we are in UNITED STATES OF AMERICA and we will explore:


BECAUSE I COULD NOT STOP FOR DEATH

Let's meet Emily Dickinson
Emily Elizabeth Dickinson (December 10, 1830 – May 15, 1886) was an American poet. Dickinson was born in Amherst, Massachusetts. Dickinson lived much of her life in reclusive isolation. After studying at the Amherst Academy for seven years in her youth, she briefly attended the Mount Holyoke Female Seminary before returning to her family's house in Amherst. Although Dickinson's acquaintances were most likely aware of her writing, it was not until after her death in 1886—when Lavinia, Dickinson's younger sister, discovered her cache of poems. Her first collection of poetry was published in 1890.



Poem:

Because I could not stop for Death –
He kindly stopped for me –
The Carriage held but just Ourselves –
And Immortality.

We slowly drove – He knew no haste
And I had put away
My labor and my leisure too,
For His Civility –

We passed the School, where Children strove
At Recess – in the Ring –
We passed the Fields of Gazing Grain –
We passed the Setting Sun –

Or rather – He passed Us –
The Dews drew quivering and Chill –
For only Gossamer, my Gown –
My Tippet – only Tulle –

We paused before a House that seemed
A Swelling of the Ground –
The Roof was scarcely visible –
The Cornice – in the Ground –

Since then – 'tis Centuries – and yet
Feels shorter than the Day
I first surmised the Horses' Heads
Were toward Eternity –


Thoughts:

We have once before had a poem by Emily Dickinson in our Monday Travels, but I wanted to share this beautiful poem with you now, because I caught a trailer of a movie called A Quiet Passion, that is about Emily.

And it seems it's going to break my simple mortal heart!

Emily Dickenson to me, will always remain the misunderstood genius of a writer. I cannot wait to see the movie and I leave with this poem, poem of bravery.

To me it serves as a window to a beautiful soul, that created the most illuminating poetry I have ever read!





See you Next Monday!

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment