24 August, 2017

REVIEW: VITTORIO, THE VAMPIRE by Anne Rice


Title: Vittorio, the Vampire
Author: Anne Rice
Series: New Tales of Vampires #2
Genres: Paranormal, Classics, Gothic
Publisher: Mass Market Paperback
Release: 1999
Source: Audiobook
Pages: 352

// Goodreads // BookDepository // Amazon //

BLURB:
With Pandora, Anne Rice began a magnificent new series of vampire novels. Now, in the second of her New Tales of the Vampires, she tells the mesmerizing story of Vittorio, a vampire in the Italian Age of Gold.

Educated in the Florence of Cosimo de' Medici, trained in knighthood at his father's mountaintop castle, Vittorio inhabits a world of courtly splendor and country pleasures - a world suddenly threatened when his entire family is confronted by an unholy power.

In the midst of this upheaval, Vittorio is seduced by the vampire Ursula, the most beautiful of his supernatural enemies. As he sets out in pursuit of vengeance, entering the nightmarish Court of the Ruby Grail, increasingly more enchanted (and confused) by his love for the mysterious Ursula, he finds himself facing demonic adversaries, war and political intrigue.

Against a backdrop of the wonders - both sacred and profane - and the beauty and ferocity of Renaissance Italy, Anne Rice creates a passionate and tragic legend of doomed young love and lost innocence.


EXPECTATIONS: Let me tell you a story. Once upon a time many years ago I started reading Vampire Chronicles. Then many years after I decided you know what, I need to finish the series. It turns our I am a masochist because the majority of this series is horrible, just horrible books. But do I stop? Nope. I must really not like myself sometimes. 

THE WORLD: Basically Vampire Chronicles world that doesn't really have anything to do with original world. Vittorio is a totally unrelated vampire who decided that you know what, I also want to tell my story and be cool like Lestat. You would think that reading about Medici times would be brilliant but in reality it was torture, if there was any real discussion of surroundings it was buried under usually meaningless comments Anne so loves to draw on for pages and pages. 

CHARACTERS: So the blurb kinda indicated that this is some Romeo and Juliet of vampires. Well I am sorry to disappoint but none of this is anything like Romeo and Juliet. Vittorio is a very annoying self absorbed but at the same time self sacrificing brat who somehow decides he is important enough to have his own chronicles. I cannot tell you enough how annoying Vittorio was, the tone he uses was just hrrr...And then there is this Ursula who is just a prop for Anne to write more about Vittorio. I guess by now we all know that once Anne is into something it is all she sees and writes about. She's like old times Sarah J Maas :D


ROMANCE: I don't know if what was in this book can be called actual romance. It was weird and annoying and self sacrificing self discovering bullshit. That's all I can say. Oh and serving...let's not forget that to love is to serve. 

GOOD: It was not super long I guess. And it apparently does not stay long in my memory. 

BAD: As I said, I am a masochist sometimes. This book is horrible. 

OVERALL: So the only reason I read this book was because it was part of Anne's Vampire Chronicles. Also the only reason I gave an extra star was because it was set in old Italy. If you are not as crazy as I am about finishing this series I would not recommend putting yourself through yet another horrible book. 

What do you think about VITTORIO, THE VAMPIRE?

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment