26 June, 2017

MONDAY TRAVELS: SONNET LXXIII MAYBE YOU'LL REMEMBER by Pablo Neruda



Happy Monday friends! I hope you packed light and got some party clothes, cause we're leaving rainy Lithuania for a couple of Monday's!

So today we are in Chile and we will explore:

SONNET LXXIII MAYBE YOU'LL REMEMBER




Let's get to know Pablo Neruda:
Pablo Neruda  (born Ricardo Eliécer Neftalí Reyes Basoalto, July 12, 1904 – September 23, 1973) was a poet and a diplomat. Neruda became known as a poet when he was 10 years old. He wrote in a variety of styles, including surrealist poems, historical epics, overtly political manifestos, a prose autobiography, and passionate love poems. During his lifetime, Neruda occupied many diplomatic positions and served a term as a Senator for the Chilean Communist Party. He later went into exile with his wife as the president threatened to arrest him. In his lifetime he received Nobel Prizes for both Peace and Literature.



Poem:

Maybe you'll remember that razor-faced man
who slipped out from the dark like a blade
and - before we realized - knew what was there:
he saw the smoke and concluded fire.

The pallid woman with black hair
rose like a fish from the abyss,
and the two of them built up a contraption,
armed to the teeth, against love.

Man and woman, they felled mountains and gardens,
then went down to the river, they scaled the walls,
they hoisted their atrocious artillery up the hill.

Then love knew it was called love.
And when I lifted my eyes to your name,
suddenly your heart showed me my way.
Thoughts:

There are no words to describe the love and passion I feel for this poem! It touched me to my deepest core and I think I have never seen this feeling we call - love so clearly before! 
Pablo Neruda, You moved my heart with your words and I truly believe the only way, the best way to describe the beauty of this poem is to simply enjoy it in silence!

See you next Monday!

0 comments:

Post a Comment